Aboriginal Coalition to End Homelessness Society
Are you a person who is passionate about working with Indigenous Peoples experiencing homelessness and is interested in providing culturally supportive and safe models of care? The Aboriginal Coalition to End Homelessness Society (ACEH) is seeking Support Workers to work with the Indigenous Street Community and support those who recently transitioned into culturally supportive housing.
We are a non-profit and registered charitable organization whose sole focus is to support Indigenous peoples experiencing homelessness with a vision to lead long-term systemic change to better meet the needs of our people living away from home and experiencing homelessness.
Located in downtown Victoria on Mason street, the Culturally Supportive House(CSH) was designed for Indigenous peoples experiencing homelessness who are seeking a safe space to self-isolate with 24/7 support. The house provides cultural programming, meals, and a Managed Alcohol Program.
We have Full Time and Part Time positions available. Preference given to individuals with evening, night and weekend availability.
Our full-time opportunities do qualify for benefits!
Required Qualifications and Education
- 1 year related experience working with vulnerable peoples and or providing care. Preference given to those who have worked with Indigenous peoples and have training/ education in relevant Indigenous post-secondary
- Valid First Aid Certification
- Consent to the Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check for Working with Vulnerable Adults
- Preferred Naloxone Overdose Training and Certification
- Preferred Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification
- Preferred Food Safe Certification
- Experience or personal insights working cooperatively with people with disabilities, lived experience, and addictions considered an asset
- Experience working with non-profit organizations, family support, social services, and Indigenous support services and programs considered an asset
About the Role:
- Provide one-on-one support including regular wellness checks for the Cohrt Family Members (CFM)
- Provide group support, advocacy, mentorship, and navigating resources for the CFM
- Support and encourage the CFM to participate in cultural programming, assist CFMs in identifying and overcoming barriers to their participation and connect them with the ACEH Outreach team as needed
- Respond to emergencies, communicate with the House Manager and First Responders and ensure the required follow-up paperwork is accurate and complete
- Provide de-escalation and conflict resolution between CFM when required;
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of surfaces and shared spaces following guidelines and protocols in response to COVID-19
Skills and Abilities
- Progressive understanding of persistent mental illness, addictions and other challenges and how these impact people’s overall health, wellbeing, and quality of life
- Ability to work in a holistic, professional, and non-judgmental manner as you are working with a broad range of personalities, needs, cultures, lived experiences and abilities Ability to effectively respond and adjust to unexpected events, assess high risk situations, problem-solve, provide crisis intervention and manage conflict in a culturally supportive manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively respond to and manage competing demands while adhering to deadlines
- Effective written, electronic and verbal communication skills to facilitate interprofessional collaborative practice, healthy and culturally safe environments, and a respectful workplace for community members, staff, guests and volunteers
- Ability to use stairs
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to complete repetitive tasks (such as mopping, sweeping, sanitizing, walking and bending)
Preference will be given to qualified candidates with Indigenous ancestry.
The ACEH values strength in diversity. As an inclusive employer that celebrates the gifts of all its staff, the ACEH encourages members of the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community to apply
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter which highlights how your knowledge, skills and abilities will culturally support and contribute to the ACEH and our community.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com