Reporting to the Director of Housing & Support Services, the Youth Care Home Manager will lead a team in lovingly providing Culturally Supportive Housing and services at the Youth Care Home to 6 Indigenous Youth (12-19) in the care of Surrounded by Cedar Child & Family Services. The Youth Care Home Manager is responsible for program development, leadership, management, and community relationship building in a way that upholds the organization’s mission, vision, values, and practices. The Youth House Manager also offers non-judgmental support, advocacy, information, and referrals to Youth Family Members. Building strong community relationships, being a good neighbour, and familiarity with available resources is essential. This position operates in a high-stress environment, often dealing with crises, and requires the ability to function independently and effectively manage various situations including emergencies.
INTERIM PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT: November 2023 – January 2023
- Support preparations for opening the Youth Care Home as directed, including start-up purchasing, facility set-up, organizing cultural preparations, etc.
- Provide support toward completion of Community Care Facility Licensing. This may include policy development; planning for hygiene & communicable disease control; establishing systems for record keeping and reporting; adherence to medication storage and distribution; and nutrition / food service planning.
- Develop a Handbook for Team Members that outlines basic facility processes and information such as parking, keys, emergency preparedness, staff directory, policies, etc.
STAFF OVERSIGHT & HOUSE OPERATIONS (45%)
- Assist in hiring, onboarding, supporting, and assessing Youth Care Home staff including Support Workers, Cook(s), Elder(s), and Aunty or Uncle.
- Manage employee scheduling and approve timesheets to payroll bi-weekly.
- Hold regular team check-ins toward continual program improvement.
- Provide support through conflict resolution, de-escalation, and mediation as needed.
- Organize professional development and staff wellness opportunities.
- Prepare to meet annual licensing inspection requirements (i.e., site maintenance, record keeping, posting menus etc.)
- Implement and evaluate program planning, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality, privacy, and record-keeping in accordance with the PIPA and the Society’s Act.
- Develop and manage the inventory.
YOUTH SUPPORT & COMMUNITY RELATIONS (45%)
- Collaborate with Surrounded by Cedar Child & Family Services on intake and case management to maintain a balanced Youth Family Member dynamic.
- Facilitate positive relationships between Youth Family Members and team members.
- Support Care Plan development for Youth Family Members and advocacy toward meeting their personal goals in areas of: health, substance use, income, housing, employment, family reunification, cultural connection, education, life skills, and parenting.
- Familiarize Youth Family Members with house policies and procedures, including care for the property, safety protocols, and expectations for living communally.
- Lead a Family Meeting biweekly to discuss updates, challenges, and upcoming events.
- Liaise with the Land-Based Healing Manager and Youth Programs Manager to organize land-based and social events. Planning inclusive of a Work Plan with assigned responsibilities and a projected budget for approval.
- Coordinate with ACEH Outreach services for resident Youth Family Members who may be street involved, using substances, or at risk of exploitation. May require involvement of the ACEH’s Place of Hope program.
- Work alongside birth and extended families in a meaningful, respectful, and engaging way.
- Engage and collaborate with Social Workers, Caregivers, and Education Professionals.
- Organize periodic events with neighbours to build community.
ADMINISTRATION & PLANNING (10%)
- Complete budget projections, reports for SCCFS, and 1-2 proposals annually for supplementary program funding.
- Monitor CAMS for team-wide case management and incident reporting.
- Develop and provide an in-service training session quarterly about the Youth Care Home.
- Represent the Youth Care Home site on the Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
- Attend mandatory monthly Management meetings.